Friday, December 07, 2007

“When you’ve got to go, you’ve got to go”!!

The mercury was adamant and kept rising. Just when I thought it would rain for good, another bead of my body sap rolled down by my left cheek. I was working hard and so were my sweat glands. These things just happen to me. Every time.

SSC&B was at lunch, RSCG asked for an appointment letter and Abhijeet was busy with Piyush. Flies played touch and go at the O&M lounge and the Monitron guard wore the ‘You’re irritating me’ look. It began to get on my nerves and I moved out.

“There’s just one more” I said, as I walked. The bight yellow Publicis lion stared me right in the eye. But something else commanded my attention. I shifted my frame to a gleaming red monstrous 4 X 4 neatly parked under the tarpaulin roof. It roared ‘Toyota on steroids’ and consolations cried ‘Not everyone’s Bharat Dhabolkar!!’

At the Publicis waiting area, thanks to the cool air the air con was throwing, sweat pores began to close. There I was, not even with my resume to probably meet the creative director and to coax him to keep me as a trainee writer. Just for the occasion you may call it the exuberance of youth but that‘s the way it was.

The beautiful lady at the desk was kind enough to give the CD a call. Minutes later, the CD sprinted down the stairs. Pleasantries were exchanged; points made, advices galore and shortcomings were realized. And then the copy test was offered. A piece of paper with questions whose solution would land me as a trainee in the Creative Department.

Even as I sit at my desk racking my brain for ideas to compose a story involving a gamut of things from a yellow MIG 29 to a bicycle with a flat tyre, from Madhuri Dixit to Dhirubhai’s nephew, to ostriches and masala dosas, only thing I can hear someone saying is “When you’ve got to go, you’ve got to go”!!

No comments: